PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you get paid ?
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2006, 09:34
pilgrim flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TFD
I one work for just one at the moment, though I have done odd bits of ermm 'joyride' work. Gave this up cos a) it seemed a bit iffy from a legal/operational point of view and b) the guy I worked for seemed to think that I was a charity and he was a money making bussiness. This, you will find, is a not uncommon vew amongst the flight school owning fraternity - best offer I had was to pay well over 100 quid an hour for the owner to check that I could fly a PA28...
The school where I work is a club. Upside, you tend to get treated more reasonably and if I refuse to fly in dodgy weather etc (you will be asked) then no huffing. Downside, planes a bit scruffy and the avionics suck. All bar one (salaried) instructor are part time with other incomes. I think that one of the others puts it through a company, rest self employed.
There was an article about all this in AOPA's mag a few months ago. The upshot was that it is OK to be self employed but get a good accountant. Speaking of which I believe membership of AOPA to be vital and they've just come up an insurance scheme for instructor liability. I did a BFR for my FAA licenses last year. The guy had a company, largely for the limited liability angle in the event of a nasty. In my case, after spending all that money geting qualified, any claim for more than about 15 quid would see me bankrupt- which in many ways would come as a welcome relief....
PF

Last edited by pilgrim flyer; 7th Feb 2006 at 09:35. Reason: error