View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2006, 09:27
Spot 4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leadership - Too little; too late

Noticed this on teletext and stole the text from the Telegraph:

Navy is 'very stretched', warns Admiral
(Filed: 07/02/2006)

The retiring head of the Royal Navy has warned that the force is "very stretched", and says continuing cuts could put the security of the country at risk.

First Sea Lord Admiral Sir Alan West said the Navy's dwindling resources were preventing it from doing its job properly.

Although Sir Alan praised the Navy's "loyal, hard-working and superb" personnel, he warned against making further cuts.

The 57-year-old will today be replaced by Admiral Sir Jonathon Bond, who will take up the post of First Sea Lord and Chief of the Naval Staff.

"We're playing games with our assets to make sure we meet our commitments," he told The Sun newspaper.

"Over time we won't have the forces available should there suddenly be a strategic shock.

"The security and wealth of this country depend on the sea and the Navy. If you let things run too far down you put that security in jeopardy.

"On a day-to-day basis around the world, we are very stretched."

Or in other words "I'm out of here and I am leaving an absolute disgrace behind". Where are the senior officers who are prepared to put the military first before they retire? We all appreciate that regardless of rank, you answer to a boss, and when the chain gets to the PM he answers to a country, many of whome have no idea about world politics. However a true leader would have made these comments years ago, when perhaps in a position to at least try and do something about it!

Admiral Sir Jonathon Bond has inherited a most difficult position, but I hope that he is not a career person to the bone and is prepared to stand up and be counted. In recent times we have heard senior Army Officers calling for Blairs impeachment, and now a grizzle from the Navy: RAF it is your turn, and if no retirements are imminent, please speak up now!

Rant over, cause I do know that all the good leaders left a long time ago, and I can still recall an AVM saying to me (over dinner believe it or not) that anyone in the RAF after Wg Cdr is only there because he/she cannot get a job!