PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fed up of Poor FO's
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2006, 08:16
On speed on profile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PP, That was the point I was trying to make. One of my CP's told me exactly the same and its a motto I hope everyone lives by.

Tightslot and Maximum, You are missing the point here. I am trying to allude to the fact that low houred pilots on anything are unsafe. This thread has particular reference to Jet F/O,s. I dont think I would be any better (or worse) than any of the low hour F/O's starting today if I had the same amount of experience as them. I started flying SC MEIR when I had 850 hours and man did I have a lot to learn.

People on this forum are trying to tell everyone that they are as safe as people who come from the more 'traditional route' and who have a few more hours in the air and who have seen a few more 'things' in their time. This is simply not possible. Most of their time has been in a sim and not the real world (especially with the new EASA license coming out) and there is no physical way they could experience all the things a single crew CAPTAIN has to experience and deal with on a day to day basis.

I AM NOT SAYING LOW HOURED F/O's ARE NOT SAFE WHEN THEY HAVE AN EXPERIENCED CAPTAIN SITTING NEXT TO THEM. The biggest difference is they only percieve that they are safe because they dont have the pressure of command and, I beg anyone to differ they havent seen any of the problems they are likely to encounter in the real world yet.

Chuck them in the a/c freshly line checked with 250 hours and a captain with an undiagnosed heart condition. I challenge anyone to tell me they would be happy in that situation as a pax (or the dying captain). Lets face it, its just as likely to happen as an engine failure and we all practice for those dont we!

For all those low time f/o's out there geting pissed off with what I say. It is reality. Good on you for getting in the RHS. The CAA think its acceptable and its legal so why not do it. the reality remains this though. If you ask anyone who sits in the back if they would rather be flying with an f/o with a bit of 'hard time' under his belt (im not talking jail) or a newly equally "qualified" but not experienced pilot, I would put money on the fact that 99.99% of them will tell you its the first, regardless of whether its Single Crew or Multi Crew .

Stop moaning that people think you are unsafe. You probably arent but then that will be proven when you have to deal with a situation such as the one I have mentioned. Good luck when it happens, Im just glad I am not in your shoes, YET!