PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accepted for Army flight training
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2006, 07:58
Arm out the window

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
That bastard! He never came to my house when I left. I'd imagine old Ernie was using a bit of poetic licence too... perhaps this would be the Aussie equivalent:

"...when you retire, a nice man will come calling. Typically he'll be another retired officer. And he'll be driving a multicoloured HQ Holden, a Falcon ute or equivalent, and wearing a $20 pair of stubbies and Pulsar watch. He will offer to make a comfortable life for you by getting you a comfortable job at one of the contractors, offering to sell his mower and whipper snipper to you if you take on his James' Gardening Service run. Now, if you go around kicking people in the shins, raising hell about the outrages committed by the big contractors, no nice man comes calling. It's that simple."

So don't get too het up about the old boys club bizzo.
Work hard, enjoy your flying, do your military duties well but don't forget we're all people, no matter what's on our shoulders or sleeves.
I can say from experience that an appreciation of the skills and qualities of the people who get your shiny (or maybe a bit knocked around, depending on what you get to operate) machine ready to go goes a very long way.