PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bored at BA, time to move on...
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2006, 07:02
flapsforty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many sweeping generalizations in this thread.
Some pretty well thought out answers too.
At times, PPRuNe is almost like real life.......

Anyway, Chewie, you ask for advice in your first post, and you have been given plenty. Not all to your liking, and same as you, I am fairly astounded at the tone of some of these posts. But what you said and how you said it obviously engages people on both a rational and an emotional level.
The anonymity of the keyboard doesn't always make for self-restraint.

Now to your first post.
Peering back through the mists of time at when I was your age..... I see a rather unhappy young woman. Trips were loooong, 18 days through the Far East quite common. Crew were mainly older than I was, they drank more than I did, their topics of conversation bored the hell out of me and all they seemed interested in was shopping. I often felt so lonely that I wanted to chuck it all in.

The good trips did happen though, and I also grew up. Learned to live with myself. Learned that I could have a good time all alone, without the crowd with me for safety. Learned about doing things alone, learned about taking initiative, sticking my neck out, planning activities and just get on with it.
It was often scary and not always successful, but little by little, life improved.

Like you, I work for my country's flag carrier and the crews are a mix of ages & races and types. I respectfully suggest you think a bit about the following.

You are sick of flying with colleagues who are older than you, people with whom you have nothing in common, and are considering remedying that situation by changing jobs.

Instead of changing jobs, you could also take a long hard look at yourself, at what makes you incapable of having fun with people who do not fit your ideal profile.
Why do you need other people who are young and who want to go clubbing to make your flying life enjoyable?
Why are you incapable of building up and sustaining a social life with other people than job colleagues?
Are there things you can/should change about yourself, your own perceptions and your own behaviour so as to improve your flying experience?

Reading your posts on this thread, I think perhaps that there are ways in which you could greatly improve your own life. Not only flying wise, but generally.

At the same time, if taking long hard looks at yourself is not your thing (yet), and for sure there is no shame in just wanting to have a few years of fun flying & clubbing, why not try for Virgin? They seem to have a crew mix and philosophy that is more up your street. Generally young FAs who fly hard, party hard and get out after a few years of it. Or so a few Virgin mates tell me. Maybe it's the place for you?

Whatever you decide, good luck with it.

Good thread subject BTW, many of us are at times unhappy and lonely at the start of careers. Discussing that here is useful.