PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2006, 00:39
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
old versus new

Talking about old aircraft, It's seems hard to justify new ones although as pilots we always want shiny and new.

If you look at an old 365N versus a 365N3 or an old 212 vs a 412EP or an old S76A+ vs a S76C++ etc etc etc, there are clearly some performance considerations if operating to Class 1, but not so significant if operating to class 2 (apart from the pilot 'clenched cheeks' factor to helipad type profiles). A dropped passenger or piece of cargo aside, I would be interested to know how many sectors actually use the full performance profile of the given aircraft. Sometimes there are distinct improvements in the models, but sometimes....

From a financial standpoint, if you consider the significantly higher acquisition and insurance costs of the newer aircraft ($5-6m vs $1.5-2m), versus the presumably higher DOC's (30% or so) and perhaps lower hourly revenue rates of the older aircraft (-30% or so), it seems that the bottom line is more attractive when operating the older aircraft over perhaps a 5 year period - more so for say 600 hrs a year, less so over a 1,000. This might explain why some older aircraft make there way into Africa where the less competitive market and demand for class 1 does not dicate the latest and greatest (and therefore most expensive) aircraft.

At the end of the day I am surprised more companies do not put older series aircraft a la 212 versus 412 etc into some of these markets. Reliability of course is another issue although the difference in the bottom line could buy a helluva lot of spares.

Just my 2 cents worth as I often read about tired old aircraft. Sure they don't have the EFIS fits and all of the latest gadgetry, but with good maintenance they should have a good set of running gear underneath.

Any comments on old versus new would be welcome especially with HAI coming up with all the new toys on show.