PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fed up of Poor FO's
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2006, 23:56
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maximum
If the low-houred single crew pilot can safely do their first ever flight with passengers and not kill anyone, then strange as it may seem, the low houred F/O can probably do the same in the event of an incapacitation.
I think you are slightly missing the point there. The original question was about low houred pilots going straight into jet aircraft. Trying to compare a low houred pilot in a piston twin (and his ability to handle a malfunction on an aeroplane he already has some experience on), to the ability of the same low houred pilot to handle a malfunction on an extremely complex jet aircraft, I would have thought it would be more likely that the piston twin would be easier for the same pilot to handle successfully.

The two are so utterly different in terms of performance and complexity of systems and operation that it would seem evident to me that the piston MUST be simpler. The reason the JAA has decided a minimum of 700hrs is now required to operate single crew is a reflection of their thoughts on the ability of the extremely low houred pilot compared to the risks of this type of flying. As pointed out by others, it is currently deemed acceptable to sit in the right seat of a two crew aircraft with 170hrs [isn't that the grand total of an integrated student now?] I suspect due to there being another, much more experienced pilot alongside to minimise the risk. Just my thoughts.

I am not quite sure why this has ground down to a single pilot vs low houred S/O debate, when I personaly think it is experienced vs low houred.

PP

Last edited by Pilot Pete; 7th Feb 2006 at 14:42.