PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2nd hand Garmin GPS Pilot III - worth buying?
Old 6th Feb 2006, 23:33
Sultan Ismail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A clever little unit, most of it is battery space, but there's some real technology in the rest. I decided to buy a GPS last month after nearly 4 decades of private flying, what made me choose the GPSIIIPilot is the simplicity and low profile.

The latest machines are large and cumbersome and will surely detract from your safety scan or as in the case of the 76 and 96 models they are vertical format, not simple to mount in the aircraft.

The GPSIIIPilot is designed to sit over the instrument panel and does not detract from the safety scan.

Technically I am still in the gee whiz, aw gosh, wow state.

The track recording mode is a hoot, it recorded my exact moves when I went into a hold as a result of adverse weather ahead. I have studied it several times since and seen that I was less than 3 miles from home, but a wall of water that was impenetrable made me turn back to my alternate. It was a tropical monsoon thunderstorm, you don't mess with those monsters.

Back to the GPS, go for it, it's a wise investment and will provide years of fun.