PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Courchevel aero club
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2006, 21:45
Adrian N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a word of caution. It is quite possible to complete the Courchevel site-rating in a very short time (2 or 3 hours) if you are competent and current. But please remember that learning how to land on a sloping runway in the prevailing conditions of the day is not at all the same thing as learning how to be a safe mountain pilot.

There are so many things to be aware of, and conditions can vary so much. If you are signed off for Courchevel when the wind is calm, and return a few months later when there is 10 to 15kts, you will have a nasty surprise. If you are signed off in the winter, and return in thermic conditions in the summer, you will hopefully do no worse than frighten yourself. If you learn to leave and join the Courchevel circuit when the visibility is good, do you know enough to find your way there when it's hazy, or when cumulus clouds are forming on South-facing slopes between 4000 and 8000 feet (as they often do), or when it's a bit overcast? If you get slightly lost in the mountains, can you sort it out safely? Bear in mind that there are many insidious hazards which you will not find on any maps - mainly cables, some of which can be far above the ground and quite invisible until it's too late.

I don't want to put anyone off - mountain flying is one of the most exhilarating things one can do in an aeroplane, and it has become my passion. I would strongly recommend anyone who wants to fly themselves to Courchevel to spend as much time as they can training there, to forget about the sign-off (although that will come naturally), to try to learn all they can about the techniques needed to stay safe, and to become as familiar as possible with the different landmarks so that you can find your way there safely.

Better still, go there several times and do the full mountain rating. It's a significant undertaking, and may seem a bit like getting an instrument rating when all you want to do is climb through the occaional layer of stratus to fly VFR on-top, but it's rewarding and will make trips to Courchevel much safer.