PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Max drift calculation
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2006, 21:22
UAV689

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
but why? when we was taught we start off doing medium level navs, about 3000 ft, then work down to 500ft (used to be 250 in the days of the dog) we use regular check points spaced no more than 5-8 mins apart, use HAT checks before and after each checkpoint (Heading, Altitude, Time), you know the wind before you take off and the clock method of max drift is accurate enough. When I completed my PPL the wheel was the part of the course I was dreading most, when I used the wheel on the ground I then re worked using the clock method and the results were nearly always the same. I can honestly say that when I was on the squadron I know of not one pilot getting lost on any nav, on my ppl completion it was a regular having a stude lost!! You don't even do the route with the instructor then fly it yourself you just plan and go on your own.

In my flight test for my ppl i did the nav just like i was taught in the RAF and at the end the instructor told me " I can see you have flown before because none of my instructors know how to do what you did in the air, and you did it better than them!" proof of the pie!