PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gill Aircaft Impounded
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2001, 23:01
HugMonster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Halfwit, I think (sadly) you're right there.

Under its new management, there were signs that Gill had finally got it right.

Ever since we went into administration early last year, those who stayed at Gill and toughed it out have been working their bits off to provide the passengers with a good service that they would want to experience more, and to provide Gill (and themselves) with a future.

And it was working.

Passenger numbers consistently climbed. Punctuality was excellent. The wunch of bankers were finding the overdraft rapidly diminishing, and we were a profitable, viable airline. Payrises for staff were under discussion, and the future was looking good.

What happened? We were stuffed by the greed of Insurance Companies and the greed of the bankers.

Nine aircraft, most flying day and night, have been grounded. Some of the hardest-working, most dedicated flight, cabin and ground staff are out on their ears. No doubt there will be resultant redundancies among supplier companies, who had also supported us through Administration.

And having seen on the news the reports of Union leaders' (including Chris Darke) meeting with Stephen Byers, I can say very little except that I'm disgusted with the governmant response to the crisis that every airline is going to have to face.

We're all having a few drinkies together in central toontown shortly. It will be my best opportunity to say goodbye to some truly lovely, wonderful people.

British aviation is the worse off for having one fewer indepentdent airlines around.