PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fed up of Poor FO's
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2006, 12:57
Topslide6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilotpete,

That is always the trouble holding a discussion in type as opposed to face to face.
I would agree with that 100%. I think there's a fair bit of mis-understanding gone on here between both sides and we seem to be going round in circles.

Now if you meant would they have been happy if they knew I only had 300hrs then I could see your argument....
Yes I did. Things never come across the same in type either as they are meant or as they do face to face. It's an interesting debate to have though!!

Kak klaxon,

It was 'Old Boy'. Should it have been 'old man (or woman)' then? JOKE!!

It's not a clear view of who's right or wrong, and i'm perfectly happy and willing to accept it if i am wrong, i'm only saying things as I see them (and that's taking into account the above)...and trying to balance what is generally a 'low hour F/O's should not be flying jets' attitude by some on here, because I completely disagree with it. Nothing that has been posted here has changed that and that is MY opinion and this is an argument/debate...it's nothing personal!! It's telling that it seems to be the people who've flown single pilot ops that strongly hold that opinion but before you shout, I mean that in the context as someone else said that 'everyone tends to think their own background is best'...the modular vs integrated debate is a prime example, and I think it's absolutely right. As for me swapping seats, I look forward to the day, but have a lot to learn from the guys I fly with first.

The one thing that is absolute fact, however, is that the single pilot IFR route (in the UK at least) cannot provide the number of pilots that the airline industry requires, and nowadays these operators seem to be asking for hours before they touch newly qualified guys, often more than the airlines. I also think it's fair to say that airlines are not particularly bothered either way. They want bums on seats and pilots straight out of flight school have been sitting in the rhs of jets for at least the last 20 years...why should it change now? I'd like to think that regardless of experience, they select properly and get quality guys/girls commenserate with experience. It's obvious in some cases that they don't...Pilotpete has highlighted that and as such it will make the skipper's job harder. Perhaps in that instance single pilot experience may help but I still believe only very marginally. A good mix of experience across the board is surely the way to go.

I reckon the original post and thread title was designed to wind people up and get a reaction. No doubt that it worked then!!