PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How will flight be powered when fossil fuel runs out?
Old 6th Feb 2006, 00:21
eagle 86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't help thinking at times that we are being conned into believing that the world is RAPIDLY running out of fossil fuel - I'm not saying that it isn't a finite resource - but some time back I was involved in a high level Defence/Oil industry exercise in a Western nation where an oil executive in a commercially/defence sensitive briefing indicated that known reserves at that time were enough to last that country at that rate of usage for approximately 400 years. Since then it is widely known that that country has tapped/capped much more good quality oil.
Further I find it hard to believe that mankind, amongst all his technical achievements, can't throw together a few carbon/hydrogen/oxygen atoms and synthesise the stuff.
If the doomsayers are saying that we've got 20 years left and they are right then there is no where near enough work being put into replacement fuels - the world as we know it will grind to a halt and chaos will reign. Personally I cannot envisage this scenario!
GAGS
E86