PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lancastrian Info
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2006, 22:03
astrocompasser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by southender
The story of 'Aries' is told in Putnams 'Avro Aircraft since 1908' book.

It seems the aircraft had an illustrious career, being in 1944 the first British aircraft to circumnavigate the earth. Then in 1945 it made a series of long distance flights non-stop flights between Canada and the UK.

In 1946 'Aries' set a record time for the UK - Capetown route during which it made the first Cairo - Capetown non-stop flight. I am fortunate to have a series of photographs taken at Cairo during this flight, which I would post but for my technical failings. One of the photos shows a close up of the side of the aircraft where all the places visited and dates are shown below the cockpit windows.

Finally after a further series of long distance flights to all corners of the world in 1946 PD328 'Aries' was withdrawn in 1947.

Regrettably, as so often happened with significant aircraft, it does not appear to have been preseved. I wonder if a more detailed history of it's career exists somewhere.

Cheers

Southender
I am researching Astro compass's I wonder if you have a picture showing the astro compass on the Aries 1 ? Either inside the aircraft or visible from the outside.
Thanks