PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hodgkin Cancer
Thread: Hodgkin Cancer
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2006, 21:12
Cabin doors 2 manual

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diabolo
I too was diagnosed with Lymphoma last July. Actually the non-hodgkins type and stage IV Once treatment started it was almost all gone by the third chemo treatment out of six Now I have no side effects and no medication to take - just back to normal life.
Dont let the staging worry you when it comes to Lymphoma, as already mentioned its highly treatable and quoted by oncologists as "the best cancer to get if you are going to get cancer". In my case stage IV lymphoma is nothing like other cancers stage IV (the CAA dont understand this though).
I have lost my class 1 medical until October (one year after treatment ends) when I can apply for a restricted (co-pilot only) medical and another year wait for unrestricted (due to the staging). I am currently disputing the UK CAA on this issue as their concerns about recurring cancer /staging are mislead and my oncologist has already explained to them that there is no risk for me to return to flying right now. Unfortunetly we all know what the CAA is like for red tape and rules for rules sake. I actually find dealing with the CAA on this issue harder and more depressing than the entire diagnosis and treatment of my cancer.
There are some places where the cancer can be such as the central nervous system where apparently the CAA will never allow you to fly again.
Diabolo I can provide more details by private messaging which will aid your return to flying. Contact me if you wish to for advice or even just for support from someone else who has gone through this recently.
In the meantime, get on with that treatment, keep your spirits up, cry when you have to, punch the wall when you want to etc but in real terms its a shock and a few trips over a few months of your life going to hospital for treatment.
Good luck!
Cabins doors 2 manual