PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling V1 early
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2006, 16:56
FFP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An interesting thread fella's (and ladies ). Lots to think about.

Recently did my Civvy licences (military at the moment) and the subject of V1 was brought up in Performance, with respect to Go/Stop at V1.

Now the answers for the exams were

"Below V1, in the event of a critical failure the take off MUST be aborted"

"Above V1, in the event of a critical failure the take off SHOULD be continued"

Now this seemed all wrong to me. The first one, of course, but why SHOULD and not MUST in the second ? The answer was that the aircraft captain retains the right to risk a high speed abort off the end.

Whether or no people agree with that statement is another thing, but the reason I mention it is because many of the guys doing these exams with no experience of commercial / military multi engine flying accepted it and moved on, whilst I thought it was vital to mention that in any case, the FO / CAPT WILL BE EXPECTING YOU TO CARRY OUT YOUR ACTIONS IAW CURRENT SOP's.

I just find it worrying that many people have little nuances or clever tricks that they feel they'll pull out of the bag in what will be the most intense and heart stopping few moments of your life. And to go off on a tangent with A level solutions that sounded good last night on PPRuNe will leave you working in direct opposition to the rest of the crew.

Brief it specifically or operate with the SOP's.