PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seaplane Crash-lands in Tassie Lake
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2006, 16:29
pakeha-boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rmcdonal.......not sure if you have flown floats and by your comment you have not.I,myself do have quite a few hours doing this type of work in the commercial setting.The A/C quoted, as being a caravan,the Cessna 208,is I believe,what they are refering to.

I have flown the A/C on wheels and floats,and for those that have,will agree this is a great piece of equipment,very docile,great handling,a little underpowered when heavy,very durable and a comfortable single pilot A/C in which to earn your living .

Most of the blokes that fly this type would be considered "scud runners" due to the fact that once the s*&t hits the fan,there is not a lot of reaction time or set up time,thus,put her down where you can philosophy

Seeing a float plane upside down in a lake,or trees is not a pretty site indeed,I have seen a few.Personally,I have not been in that position,but my point here is that,and I congratulate the PIC as this was probably his first "real" emergency landing,whenever one is put in this position,can successfully land the A/C,save all lives,and his own........be able to call the misses and kids and tell them he,s a live,have a friendly chat with the Cheif pilot and the CAA,............I reckon he,s done a bloody good job!!!

A cold beer and a handshake would be the order of the day,..well done mate!!!