PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Terminal Banding
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2006, 16:14
ayrprox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
incise
i'll try to be a bit more helpful.
the banding system was bought in here a couple of years ago.there had always been a graded pay scale,but everybody worked off the same scale, depending on where you were the top of the scale topped out at different points resulting in a higher/lower salary. i think that in the US they use a similar system where the busier units get more money than the quieter ones.It was a contentious issue when it was suggested, because it was based on a complexity+amount of traffic equation which many thought was flawed.The outcome was that the two london centres LACC and TC both were put in band 5 whilst the other centres ScoACC,Oceanic and MACC were put in Band 4.On the airport side i am not as well informed but i think that heathrow and maybe gatwick are band 5 but the other airports vary greatly.maybe my colleagues at these places can help you more. needless to say that the banding issue has done nothing but increase the them and us attitude prevelent within the units.
As many at MACC would probably be able to say it is not just the case that they can transfer to the higher banded units for more money.It is by no means impossible but the difficulty appears to be in getting your current unit to release you,as there are not enough people to replace you.
As for job satisfaction,personally i still enjoy going to work(not so much the morning shifts! more of a night owl) and the challenge that the job provides on each occasion.Hope this is in some way helpful to you.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Ayrprox(i didn't do it,nobody saw me do it,you can't prove anything)