PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fed up of Poor FO's
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2006, 16:00
Airbus Girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the main concerns at present though are:-
Small pool of people who could do an ATPL course due to cost, leading to a
small pool of people, not necessarily the most capable, available to the airlines.
Airlines currently recruiting hordes of pilots (in pilot recruiting terms); there are not enough candidates out there holding the licences the airlines want.
The airlines have brought this problem on themselves by requiring type rated pilots, even those with no time on type. This means that the issues of funding to gain an ATPL are exacerbated as now the potential pilot must not only find enough money for an ATPL but also for a type rating.
Further, once the airlines have selected their pilots, they put them through their own sim and line training. I have heard quite a number of training captains' concerns recently about the standard of the pilots they have coming through line training. They are talking about giving these new pilots 80 line sectors and still not being able to sign them off. Yet, despite these concerns, I suspect there is subtle pressure from the company to not "chop" any of these pilots. Does your airline ever chop pilots in line training, even if they cannot fly the aircraft? The airline has invested much money in these pilots and so the pressure is on to get them through.

Low hours pilots can be good pilots with good attitude, good training and good basic airmanship and flying skills.

I feel we need to return to the times of part or full sponsorships, or at least of airlines not requiring type ratings. First it was the CRM course, then MCC, now its a full type rating. Next the airlines will probably want time on type, which candidates will have to pay for.

Airline managers need to take a longer term view (as always).

The other potential oddity at the airline I work for is that they have decided to set up a new base and man it with brand new FOs and new Captains. Seems a bit strange to me.....