PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hardware recommendations
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2006, 06:21
Two_dogs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hardware recommendations

G'day All,

This one has been done before, but computer technology changes faster than anything else.

I am about to replace my 5 year old computer and would like some advice about which hardware would suit. I was thinking of building it myself but after buying all the hardware and the OS it may be cheaper to have my usual tech build it for me. Only trouble is he does not supply an OS Disk, just a copy of the setup files on the HDD. Not too sure what style of software this is, OEM or Dodgy Bros.

Said techie built my last system, which seemed to handle most of what I do with occasional bottlenecks but fairly stable. I dont think it needed a reboot for about the first six months. OS is MS Win Me.

System Manufacturer VIA Technologies, Inc.
System Model VT82C692BX
Jetway V693AS
700 megahertz Intel Celeron
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Physical Memory 256 MB (2 x 128 SDRAM) PC133
TNT 2 Video card (been replaced GE Force 5200 128MB)
CMI8738/C3DX PCI C Media Audio Device
1 x CD ROM
1 x CD-RW

I mainly use MS Office programs, email, internet and photo editing.

I have been doing a bit of trawling on the net and the options seem endless. Do I really need 64bit computing. I have no idea, but this new system will probably serve me for the next 4-5 years so it may be a worthwhile option now.

I would like to have (onboard) RAID 1 with SATA drives. I understand this will keep a mirror image of my data on each of the drives, and in case of HDD failure, the data can be rebuilt from either of the drives.

I would also like 1 GB of dual RAM. I already have a spare ATI Radeon 9550 video card with 256 MB ram, and an USB ADSL modem. OS should be MS XP Pro. I guess what I really need is a MOBO, HDD and memory recommendation. Any advice appreciated.

Price range excluding video card, around the $1000-$1200AU mark.

Regards,

Two Dogs.