PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructor salary
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2006, 03:48
Shrike200

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same time period, pretty much the same pay, although with a small basic (R1500-R2000?) Part time guys got about R100 per hour, but I can't remember if that applied to Gr III or II. The Gr II instructors got paid slightly (like about R10-R20!) more per hour. And we paid for all our renewals, medical etc, but got slightly cheaper rates on the aircraft. Thankfully we had a great boss, who was approachable, there all the time, and listened to us.

It was dirt, but it was good dirt at the time. My 'networking' with charter companies involved me getting sworn at by them (off air of course!) when I delayed them by so much as 0.00001 seconds at FALA, despite herculean efforts not to. Those who have instructed will understand the 'wading through syrup' feeling of getting a slower student to do something timeously without rushing them, all while two Kingairs, a Citation and a Lear bear down on you at the hold. This is of course after your student has somehow managed to park him/herself neatly in the only path onto the runway, again despite your very clear explanation of why we DON'T park in everyones way when doing runups. I laughed at the times I've had to do odd little 360's at the hold at least....

There I go again with instructors stories, sorry. You have to understand, it brings back very 'special' feelings!