PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Questions
Thread: Questions
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2006, 22:05
the hunted one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TATC
You should have divided anyway-
150 /30 gives 5 millibars difference - so the QFE in the morning is 998 (I hope I worked that out correctly)
Yes, I think that's what I said. But at the time I multiplied and got a QFE of 5500 or something!!! LOL But at least I knew enough to say "that's obviously wrong" and laugh about it, and they could see how I'd worked it out and where I'd gone wrong. I think that's what they want to see. An ability to work things out logically and admit (and understand) when you go wrong.
They also showed me maps of different airfields and asked me to show them strengths and weaknesses of each airfield layout.

They also asked me about the differences between Primary and Secondary radar and the strengths and weaknesses of each.

And they gave me a scenario of different aircraft arriving at a hold, who would you make number 1, 2, 3 and 4 between a B747, a hercules, a Cessna and a helicopter or whatever.

The only other one I remember is the old trick question of where they give you a set of 4 aircraft with ETA's and ask what order they will arrive at the hold. Don't fall into the old speed trick. The estimates is the clue. Doesn't matter how slow an aircraft is, if it is 5 minutes away, it will get there before a swept-wing tornado that is 6 minutes away. It may sound obvious, but you would be amazed at how many people will say that the Tornado will get there first!

That's all the questions I remember now (apart from asking me what newspaper I read) and some topical stuff from the time about London City Airport and recommendations about flame retardent materials in aircraft cabins and passenger smokehoods, which never got adopted. To cover yourself for these type of questions, buy Flight International and another couple of aviation mags (I used Aircraft Illustrated at the time) in the run-up to your interview, that way you will know what the current "hot topic" is likely to be.

Still, not a bad memory considering my interview was in 1988!