PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus goes A330 ... again.
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2006, 16:23
akerosid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even if 330s are ordered (and the ST article two weeks ago suggested it was a likelihood, not that the order will be made), these aircraft will only be a short term solution - i.e. until the new type is ordered. Thus, it doesn't necessarily rule out a Boeing order, particularly if the interim deal is worked out with a lessor; some of the current 330s are leased from ILFC, which has both 787s and 350s on order.

I, too, would love to see a 787 order, but I think my hopes - briefly raised by your comments, Irishair2001 ! - are likely to be dashed and we need to be resigned to the fact that the likely aircraft will be the 350. But, of all the things to be resigned to, it's not too shoddy at all. It may be a warmed over 330, but it's still a very significant revision of a very fine aircraft and one which has already found favour with several leading airlines like Finnair and ... well, other leading airlines anyway.

Of course, whatever aircraft EI chooses, it's going to need a lot more than these four and the suggested MD11 lease (I hope your source for this wasn't the same one who told you the new acft would be made in SEA!). As I set out above (and I know my prediction won't be 100% correct), the airline will need to be looking at a fleet of about 11 long haul aircraft and that doesn't include the current A330-300s, which will need to be replaced, so there's going to be quite a bit of movement in the EI fleet.

As Bearcat says, I wish they'd put us out of our misery and order the damned things, sharpish.