PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - E - LogBooks in Oz
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2006, 00:29
gadgetguru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
on-line log book

i4ig
i think that it would have limited applicability, those in remote areas that might be well served by having a centralised depository, most likely a simple script front end, to a dbase backend, whilst the pilot could make entries/additions each evening (or whenever/how often each pilot might document) in their downtime...

...but then they might not have internet access.

the on-line logboook database would allow for customisable reporting that you wouldn't get on a stored spreadsheet on a website (& in what format, if you have put any effort into your spreadsheet logbook, you don't want other plagerising your code/macros etc.) if there was a provided/shared service, then any number of pilots could beneifit from this, the total output could be exportable in a number of formats (probably .csv the easiest) so that pilots could keep a local copy as well.

with the dbase you could also have a public access area where a standard report was available showing a basic summary of hours:
total time
-total PIC
-total mutli
-total night
-total dual
-total turbine
-total piston
-total etc.
this might be useful when applying for jobs, whether including it on your cv or if by email or phone conversation, tell them to have a look at
" www . myurl . net . wherever / logbook/ "
said potential employer could then at a glance keep tabs on where you're at/what you've been doing.

you could make the public access area optional so that if certain pilots didn't want it, then it could be turned off or at minimum password protected to prevent anonymous perusal.

i can see the potential in it, but as i said, perhaps limited applicability due to the nature of the industry & some of the individuals & circumstances therein.