PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fed up of Poor FO's
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2006, 10:32
Topslide6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Justathought,

A couple of points;

1) re your comments on line training, that's true to an extent but surely that's why cover F/O's exist, so a training Captain is happy that he/she is not going to be put into that situation.
2) How happy do you think Pilot Pete's 'punters' would have been to know that he was flying them into potentially dangerous situations (by his own admission) on his own and with no one else to fallback on if the situation dictated? I'll bet not all of them would have happily flown with him.

Pilotpete,

I almost found myself agreeing with you there briefly until you said this:

The question is at what point does the low houred S/O or F/O become more of an asset on the flightdeck, rather than a hinderance?
Whether in jest or not, you obviously have some real and quite worrying issues here. If you really do look upon a 2 crew operation like that I just hope it doesn't come back to bite you in the back one day. You could almost hear it quoted in a CRM course on how 'NOT' to do it.

but the good guy does just this and is making his/ her own command decisions as things happen, sometimes these will differ from the actual decision the captain makes, but again, the mature F/O is happy to go with the captain's decision as long as nothing is compromised.
I'd agree with this to an extent, but if my view of things differed from the Captain's I wouldn't be happy to 'go along with it' unless I had an explanation as to why their decision was correct, and visa versa. You are right though, I try to learn as much as I can from the guys I fly with but I fly with good Captains who understand CRM and are happy to come to a joint decision on things, and not just impose their will without consultation. Our job is not to just sit there and take what the Captain says as gospel. Everyone is human and everyone makes mistakes....even people who've flown single pilot. There is nothing 'mature' about just 'going along' with things. It's exactly what i've been taught NOT to do.

If your F/O's are coming on line through line training and are 'hindering' you then maybe you need to speak up to your line training department and stop tarring all F/O's and companies with the same brush.

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one, and that's to say that of course I understand that RELEVENT experience counts, but it absolutely DOES NOT mean that low houred F/O's are a bad thing...and i'm no way near convinced.

The sim is the sim...
tis true...and a light twin is not even the sim.

Nice 'arguing' with you

Last edited by Topslide6; 4th Feb 2006 at 11:35.