PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best reply heard?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2006, 05:22
Mark IX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One Actual, One Apocryphal

I was flying an army helicopter at STANTA during the 90s alongside two Wessex from Benson. One of the Wessex crew was the Station Commander who was doing his CR check. On day two both Wessex went (semi long term) unserviceable and I offered a 'get you home' ticket to Staish 'after I've done a quick 20 minute recce with the CO of the infantry battalion'. Staish was delighted and when I got back he came up to me with all the maps, NOTAMS and airfield bookings fully prepared (very professionally). We set off for Benson after a quick suck of fuel and he did sticks and poles whilst I did the radio & nav. The weather was poor so we flew at fairly low level the whole way and didn't get a hold of Benson until just a few minutes before the MATZ boundary. The conversation went as follows:
Me: Benson, Army Air 625, Good Afternoon.
ATC: Army Air 625 pass your message.
Me: Army Air 625, currently fifteen miles North of the field, request joining instructions.
ATC (Very curt and condescending voice): Army Air 625, Benson is a PPR airfield, you are not booked in and we might well not be able or prepared to accept you this time. Standby (hurrumph before pressel released).
(Station Commander offers me control and takes over the radio)
Station Commander (no preamble): There are Five Thousand Two Hundred and Fifty reasons why you should know that Army Air 625 is booked in to Benson.
(An RAF Form 5250 was, apparently, an Officers Annual Confidential Report).
Thirty second pause.....
ATC (new controller): Army Air 625 is cleared direct to Station Headquarters HLS, Active runway 01 , QFE 1001, Circuit Clear.
Station Commander: OC Ops to report outside my office before I get there. Hat required. No further transmissions.
Stony silence in cockpit for a few seconds followed by charming farewell as he got out rotors running and stomped off to grip the miscreant...
Apocryphal tale from Wattisham during the Lightning era
Several Lightning squadrons had launched on an exercise with only Wattisham, Binbrook and Waddington having suitable, serviceable approach aids. A crash at Binbrook made the airfield black and Waddington went below minima, leaving only Wattisham available. Anglia Radar had been struggling to vector people somewhere suitable for several vital minutes……..
Lightning: Wattisham Approach, Lightning 007 request radar vectors PAR.
ATC: Lightning 007 Squawk 2345, turn right heading 210. Descend report level 1500’ on Wattisham QFE 1017, expect radar vectors RWY 05, nine similar type ahead, expect four minute delay.
Lightning: Lightning 007, Mayday, fuel priority.
ATC: Lightning 007 your Mayday acknowledged. You are number eight with seven Maydays ahead and one on. Expect four minute delay.
(Does anyone know if this is an accurate version of events?)