PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in Rain
Thread: Flying in Rain
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2006, 19:43
FormationFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shaggy Sheep Driver
The worst thing about rain for VFR flying is the associated lowered cloud base. It is very easy to go inadvertant IMC when flying in moderate to heavy rain.
SSD
er...'inadvertant' i think not. That is one of the most overused and useless comments in aviation - peronally I wish it was considered 'taboo' as a term - its like 'hangar rash' a term used to cover up and make exceedingly poor airmanship sound like some kind of unavoidable happening.

The ONLY time inadvertant IMC may occur is at night. Simple as that.

At all other times the pilot flew his 100kt aeroplane into conditions that he shouldnt have - either too close, or pressed on into deteriorating wx.

If you flew through rain - you *MADE* a choice. It is therefore not inadvertant - particularly if you did not consider the possibility that the water might reduce visibilty to an unacceptable level - remember unless you are appropriatelky qualified you need 3km vis - and that means in rain too! Also I should point out that it is in-flight visibility (i.e. directly in front of you) NOT your ability to see the ground 3km away - the point of the VMC minima is to avoid collisions amongst other things...

But all other things being equal rain is not really a problem. However, be warned that some modern types (typically composite aircraft), and microlights (with dacron/ultralam cloth) do not take well to rain and rain may not only reduce performance but may well result in a significant loss of lift - Before flying any aircraft in such wx make yourself familiar with the POH.

Of course - dog-legging or diversion is always a good option.

If you flew me through a rain shower that lost us the required VMC minima on flight test I would automatically fail you. No argument - loss of VMC and the resultant accident statistics should let you know how important it is to maintain VMC unless appropriately qualified. So my advice is - dont go there.

Bearing that in mind, I also advocate - don't fly through something you can't see through - but also think about the type of cloud above - it can suddenly develop into torrential rain - again losing VMC minima - so be warned - its a dynamic environment out there!

Safe flying.

Oh BTW tmmorris - that very a/c put snow down my collar 12 months ago!!! brrrrrrr.