PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rocky Road to Commercial Aviation - Please help out a wannabe!
Old 2nd Feb 2006, 16:30
energie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Rocky Road to Commercial Aviation - Please help out a wannabe!

Hi guys,

I have been doing quite a bit of research into this area. I am 25 and currently working in the software industry.

I've had several hours into my PPL, but that's it, but I've been seriously looking into getting my foot into this industry. From my research, the responsibility, the lifestyle, the ability to fly, and the characteristic of a good pilot, they all just fit me like a glove. I've graduated from University Last year, so after working for a while, I have started to gather momentum to save enough money to start working towards my licenses.

I have a tremendous amount of initiative and determination, but I am concerned about the money and the opportunites in this industry as a commercial pilot. Let's face it, I know a lot of us wannabes are eager to get started, but we have to be realistic with our lives too.

Even if i am able to support myself and obtain my PPL/CPL/frozen ATPL licenses this year, I am guessing I will be a couple hundred hours shy of the minimum qualifications upon completion of my licenses (AirCanada is 1000TT right?)

How did you guys do this? Because it doesn't seem like instructing can gain the proper hours with the proper planes, and it surely won't pay enough I've looked into flying for cargo/local carriers like Sonic Blue Airways etc, but in my opinion that's where accidents and fatalities occur. The recent accident on Jan 22 ( I think ) where a Sonic Blue Airway's cessna caravan crashed supports my concerns

I don't have perfect 20/20 vision ( I have about 20/30, so pretty close but not quite), so joining the air force is probably out of the question.

The more I look into it, the more I realized how hard it is for you guys who are already commercial pilots. That is why I am wondering if you can share some of your experience and tips for an enthusiast like me. What did you guys do to achieve your dream?

Thanks very much in advance!