PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOCs for Ultralight Schools
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2001, 16:35
JJagungal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down AOCs for Ultralight Schools

I haven't seen any discussion of this issue on pprune yet so I thought I'd pose the question. For those who aren't aware CASA is trying to force AUF registered flying instructors to apply for (and hold and renew) AOCs, in order to conduct flying training. This is despite the fact that the AUF is very efficient in administering sport aviation, including training, in Australia and extra regulation from CASA is not required. Apparently CASA wants to classify ultralight training as "commercial" yet parachute operations are not, and are given specific exemption.

This is a serious issue for the AUF as it would cause many ultralight flying schools to the wall under the extra expense of maintaining an AOC, and would no doubt lead to a decline in sport aviation as it becomes too expensive for many. Apparently the push for this is coming from GAPA, (apparently ultralights are stealing "their" - ie GA's - potential students) although I have heard that this body is not really very representative of GA people generally.

So what do you think? Is it fair that ultralighting should become more expensive for the specific benefit of GA schools? Will CASA and AOCs do a better job of keeping ultralights safe than the AUF can?

JJ