PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New B737 Procedures and QRH
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2006, 23:17
Upper Medium

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cfit
I have seen similar cases as well and I am not at all impressed with how some airlines deal with the dynamic change which manuals are constantly exposed to. Having said that I appreciate the fact that it can be difficult to keep up with a myriad of rules and regulations, but imposing a complete change of SOPs should be covered in company notices at the minimum (preferably ground based classroom training). It is vital that the crewmembers are on the same page when the flight "departs from normal operating parameters" ( or when the $hit hits the N1), anything else could result in loss of fare paying passengers lives.
Assuming he is operating in a JAA member state, your friends company practise is probably in breach of 2-3 jar-ops rules; I'll quote the one I find the most appropriate.

SUBPART P
JAR-OPS 1.1040 General Rules for Operations Manuals

(...)

(g) An operator shall ensure that the Operations
Manual is amended or revised so that the instructions
and information contained therein are kept up to date.
The operator shall ensure that all operations
personnel are made aware of such changes that are
relevant to their duties.

(...)
Just remember that the regulations may state one thing, but CAA approvals and dispensations are overriding. Your friends company is most likely covered. Does your friend have an operational base captain he can talk to and discuss the problems he is experiencing on the line? I'm afraid this looks like another example of pilots having to adapt to the shortcoming of their administration, and things will sort themselves out after some time.