PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A little advice required
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2006, 19:24
JamesA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TO B1 or to B2

Hi G funk,
From what I see and have done for many years the Avionic or Science department as they like to call themselves is the less exerting manually. However, you may be subject to severe brain fade trying to chase those wiggly amps and find where they are falling out of the cables. I have seen these days that both sides have to have some cross knowledge, especially with the types you are wishing to work on, of both sides of the business.
Getting a licence is only the first step as you realise. Then you are in chicken/egg syndrome. Employers only want 21 year olds with at least 10 years experience, preferably on type, i.e licensed, and willing to work for nothing all hours.
I can only suggest you try making contact with a maintenance manager of an airline, (not the easiest task these days with the security situation), and perhaps start with trying to 'help out' now and again to get a feel of the company/situation. Then maybe he/she will give yo ua tipoff when a vacancy is likely to arise. The only othe rsuggestion is to keep plugging away at the adverts in the aviation press, etc.
Good luck