PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice sought; conduct unbecoming?
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2006, 14:19
Mead Pusher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: PMA's Toy - Harassment

PMA's Toy - the situation that you are describing would be harassment as long as (as you claim) the individual concerned feels offended, humiliated, frightened and/or threatened. In this case she needs to take action.

Initially the recommendation would normally be to resolve the issue informally by confronting the individual concerned and making her feelings known to them (with a friend present). However, I realise that sometimes individuals do not feel able to do this - and in this case they should approach the next person up in the chain of command. She should also start to keep a written record of events, including date and time, what happened, who else witnessed it, how she felt and what she did (if anything) to try to remedy the situation.

If informal action fails then she needs to speak to the EO Advisor (normally OC PMS) and seek advice. Again, informal action would be the first method tried, but if necessary formal action can take place. If it comes to formal action then the individual will be required to submit a redress of complaint in accordance with QR1000 to the Stn Cdr - the EO Advisor can help with this. An investigating officer will then be appointed (outside the chain of command) and evidence will be gathered and collated into a report which is then presented to a deciding officer (Wg Cdr upwards, normally). The deciding officer will then either support or reject the complaint and decide on admin or disciplinary action as appropriate. Investigations should be completed within 30 days where possible. Redress action must be taken within 3 months of the last incident occuring.

If she is unhappy with the outcome it can be appealed, but the punishment cannot be contested if the complaint has been upheld. Further action is possible, but only by going to an Employment Tribunal, and this has to be done within 6 months less one day of the last incident.

That lot is chapter and verse from the RAF Harassment and Bullying guide, but I have personal experience of the system as I was an investigating officer for a complaint once. The complaint was upheld and one individual received a formal warning. The person who made the complaint did not suffer any victimisation to my knowledge, although she was a civilian.

My advice (as others have said) would be to speak to the Padre, EO Advisor or SSAFA Social Worker before doing anything else.