PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737NG:FLIGHT CONTROLS, HYDRAULIC, FLIGHT INSTRUMENTS Q's
Old 1st Feb 2006, 12:40
Cap Loko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B737NG:FLIGHT CONTROLS, HYDRAULIC, FLIGHT INSTRUMENTS Q's

Dear fellow aviators,

I have a few questions regarding B737-NG. Would like to know the answer to enhance my understanding of these systems.

-1.What is the significance of the difference in setup of system A and B standpipes in the hydraulic reservoir?; Only in case of a leak of engine-driven pump A will fluid level be maintained (until 20%) but if a leak occurs in any other pump (sys A EMDP and sys B EMDP and EDP), pressure is lost.Why do have both systems a different setup?

-2.Why is mach trim applied to elevators but not stabilizer instead?
-3.Is there any posibility of a Mach trim runaway and if yes what course of action (if any) should be taken as there is no QRH drill for this ?
-4.I.c.o. Mach trim fail, how come the airspeed limit is .82 and not .615 ?

-5.Flap maneuver speeds: The flap symbols on the Airspeed Indicator represent the Recommended Maneuvering Speeds for flap selected.

A captain I fly with told me that the flap symbols represent MINIMUM maneuvering speeds and thus is selecting to fly at speeds in the middle of two symbols; for example '1'at 180K '5' at 160K, he will fly at 170K with flaps 5 selected.

My understanding from the books is that for example when the '1' symbol is at 180 K, you should fly 180K with flaps 1. (Our company procedure -which I will not question- is to fly at the nearest highest 10 knot digit).

What is correct?

Many thanks in advance,
Loko

edited for question numbering

Last edited by Cap Loko; 1st Feb 2006 at 14:40.