PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2006, 10:45
Mama Mangrove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
helihawkeye,

I've been away for a bit now, but I still keep in touch with a number of friends in Bristow, Aero and Pan African.

Bristow operate 332Ls, some tired old S76A+ and A++s and some nice new C+s. They have several tired old 212s and 412s, but are getting some new 412EPs and are rumoured to be getting a couple of A139s. They also operate EC155s owned by Shell. Aero (CHC) have a number of tired old 365Ns, but they are due to be replaced by N3s this year and they already operate a few N3s. They also have a new fleet of well-equipped S76C+s, with more on the way. They have some very old 355F1s, but rumour has it that they'll be replaced this year. They already have people away doing A139 courses and again rumour has it that they will have a couple of A139s in country in a few months. Caverton operate an A109E, an ancient 365N and a 350B2. However they're unlikely to pass an audit with a first world oil company and get into the offshore market (they could pass an audit with a local oil company where the result was decided by the traditional Nigeria 'brown envelope' method). Having seen other threads on this forum about their roster and pay, and as they're an entirely Nigerian company where you'd have no proper legal rights, I'd stay well clear if I were you.

Bristow and CHC both pay quite well, though the CHC pilots are on a number of different pay deals. The Canadian dollar is quite strong at the moment. I think Bristow probably pays better, though for that you have to work 7/5 of course. Both companies offer a reasonable package of extra benefits like health insurance and pension schemes. Caverton pay is lousy for the roster and from what I hear any benefits are normally confined to the paper they were written on when an offer was made

Bristow and Pan African are shortly to merge. Their present acting MD is a great guy, good at his job and popular with the staff. A number of their dinosaurs have gone and most of the rest are due to be pensioned off this year, so pilots may be treated more like human beings than has often been the case up until now. However, little is known of the new American MD, or what his management style and policies will be like. With Bristow base 'Chief Pilots' have more influence in your day-to-day hapiness than is the case with Aero, as Bristow operate from numerous bases throughout the country. CHC have replaced all the managers in the helicopter division (the last, 'Koboman' is due to leave this month) and I hear that the new, Canadian, managers are a refreshing change with a relaxed open management style. Unfortunately they are still saddled with the original MD whose only concern seems to be to try and make Aero a major African airline. He treats the people in helicopter division like dirt and unless the new helicopter managers can get support from Canada, he is likely to continue to treat the helicopter division as second-class citizens. He is well aided in this by the HRM Manager who creates far more problems for helicopter pilots (both national and expat) than he solves.

As for housing, Bristow wins hands down. With the exception of the Akpan estate in Eket, their housing and facilities normally far exceed those of CHC. At most of their bases you'll have good housing and good sports facilities free of charge. Probably the best housing and facilities are on the 2 Shell operations in Warri and Port Harcourt (though there you'll live a long way out of town). The Texaco camp in Warri is also very good. Escravos has been overrun several times and personal safety is always an issue there. As for food, it depends whether you like meals supplied in a canteen or preparing, or having your food prepared for you. With Bristow you may be in a base where there is central messing or you may get a daily allowance. CHC has central messing. Reports of the food in the CHC staff canteen in Port Harcourt vary from appalling to okay. With Caverton you get a lousy monthly allowance and have to do all your own shopping and cooking. CHC housing is well below par. In Lagos you'll normally be sent off to stay in a barely-habitable annex or a hotel that makes 'Faulty Towers' look like 5 star . The camp in Port Harcourt is a shambles that has suffered from years of underspending by koboman and I hear that CHC is no longer talking of moving out to a purpose-built camp. Facilities, other than the most basic are almost totally lacking and it will take a major investment to improve matters. The new management are talking of being willing to spend what it takes to bring about this improvement, but actions speak louder than words and friends say that there has been a lot of talk accompanied by only a little action so far. The good thing is that the housing is well situated if you like to have a life other than just staying in a camp and visiting the bar or watching TV every night.

At the end of the day it comes down to what suits you the best. Bristow probably still pays better, but CHC offers 6/6. Either company is okay to work for and if you go with an open mind and infinite patience you can have a good time in Nigeria. Good luck with chosing. Let us know which company offers you the best deal and how you get on.

Hope this helps. mama