PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fed up of Poor FO's
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2006, 08:58
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkflyer
This makes for a well-rounded pilot and I think superior to one that has only flown in a training environment and crewed aircraft where most decisions are made for you.
I'd agree, but only to a certain extent. I think this statement is correct for the new joiner onto a jet. BUT, I know plenty of experienced F/Os, captains and indeed training captains who all got their first job with low hours and straight onto a Boeing. They are all excellent and extremely competent having built on their initial lack of experience.

I think it comes down to individuals and their attitude, and there is no denying that having previous experience is a bonus when starting on your first big jet type, but I would argue that in time the low houred F/O becomes just as competent. It's not the same, learning from the right seat, but the good guy does just this and is making his/ her own command decisions as things happen, sometimes these will differ from the actual decision the captain makes, but again, the mature F/O is happy to go with the captain's decision as long as nothing is compromised. He then logs away this experience and re-assesses the scenario to see what he can learn from it.

The question is at what point does the low houred S/O or F/O become more of an asset on the flightdeck, rather than a hinderance?

PP