PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Africa Ride (video) Any opinions?
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2006, 06:17
[email protected]

Received 654 Likes on 288 Posts
If we weren't show-offs by nature, we probably wouldn't be pilots - most military pilots go through the 'wazzing and zooming' phase a couple of years into their careers and often frighten themselves when they have a close call before backing off slightly and flying to what they perceive as an 'acceptable' risk level. The problem is that each of us has a different idea of 'acceptable' risk and it is partly due to ego and arrogance - the greater pilot you think you are, the more you believe you can handle anything and that nothing bad can happen to you (it's the same with driving a car, right up until you have a crash - then you slow down a bit).

The guy in the Africa video may be a good pilot but he assumes that because he has got away with it many times before that a. he will continue to get away with it and b. he's got to keep doing it anyway because that's what the tourists want.

The Puma stuff is a bit boring frankly - anyone can wazz at 5' over flat terrain with no obstacles, it's not skilfull but it is fun when you have your hands on the poles.

Horses for courses - I wouldn't fly fare-paying passengers in that manner repeatedly, and I certainly wouldn't let anyone video me doing it if I did it as a one-off. The pilot seems happy to continue - it's his risk assessment.
However, it would be interesting to see the comments from the 'pro' posters on this thread if we were discussing a pilot killing 3 pax in a heli crash because he was giving them an 'interesting ride' that went wrong.