PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Balance Field Length
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2006, 06:04
Old Smokey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
J_T, Mutt,

I think that the scariest in recent history was the gentleman believing that V1 was an arbitrary figure derived from the WAT limit.

yawskidball, a BFL condition will exist entirely dependant upon the type of AFM data that you're using. Most use it, some don't, some use Clearway and/or unequal Stopway, some don't. I prefer to work with unbalanced data (basically because I'm a very unbalanced person), it gives greater flexibility, particularly when factors affecting Accelerate-Stop, but not affecting Accelerate-Go (such as Anti-Skid being Inop) exist. One then flies at the most limiting of the 2 conditions.

If obstacles have forced you to optimise the Obstacle Climb Limit against the Field length used, thus reducing the Effective Operational Length (EOL), and you're using Balanced Field data from the AFM, then the operation is still BFL, even though you're not availing yourself of the full runway length.

Obstacle clearance is considered to 1500 feet, or GREATER, if required to satisfy obstacles (That's a very short version of the total picture).

Regards,

Old Smokey (Taking holidays now to enable sensible discourse to resume on PPruNe)