PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Africa Ride (video) Any opinions?
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2006, 02:13
remote hook

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beef.
It sounds to me like you are one of those guys who flies around in white gloves trying hard not to spill your coffee.

Many of us routinly fly in environments where should the engine quit, the trailrotor let go, the hydraulics sieze, or any other mechanical failure occur, we are in a very precarious position. As SASless so eloquently points out, these are risks that are assessed, considered and delt with. If they are too great, which they often are, we don't go. There are countless routine jobs where the paying customer IS in considerable danger should things go wrong - but somehow we do them anyway, and the number accidents is small. I don't consider Forestry personel, Game Branch, or Geologists any different than the tourist. They are all people, and people who expect the machine to be operated in a safe, professioanl, and efficient manner - and to live through the flight.

This video aside, your attitude is one that demonstrates an acute lack of understanding and experience in these types of work. There many with far more time and experience than I, but your blanket criticism of Utility type operatioins is offensive and misguided. I personally invite you to the moutainous, and Northern regions of Canada to view these types of operations yourself. I'm sure others would be just as happy to have you over to NZ, AUS, PNG, the US, Africa, SE Asia and the many other places where helicopters are used for occasions other than straight and level.

RH