PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Africa Ride (video) Any opinions?
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2006, 20:14
SASless

Received 524 Likes on 219 Posts
Beefer,

You failed to read the post I fear....there is "cowboying" and there is "low flying". One is done impromptu and without due care and circumspection where the other is done with all consideration of the risks and ramifications of operating close to terrain and obstacles. If I also told you of having done it at night....I would imagine you would have a Grand Mal Seizure. Military pilots and some civilian pilots do this kind of flying daily and nightly...as a common way of doing business.

When one pushes the limits but does so with great care and circumspection....it is an altogether different thing than being the "cowboy". One can become a slave to regimentation and think all is well. I would hate to think I never had the sheer pleasure this kind of flying can provide.

I would suggest throwing water at a raging forest fire in the high mountains during summer time while flying a forty year old aircraft toting a 150 foot longline might also scare you away too. However, that is a common practice amongst my peers....and the one thing we all have in common usually is a lot of gray hair, raggedty beards, and lots and lots of flying away from airports.

If one is not comfortable doing challenging work with helicopters, then by all means stick to what you are comfortable with but do not suggest that those who do the utility flying do so without ability, professionalism, or a very healthy respect for safety. It is demanding work and most unforgiving of mistakes.

You might realize I hope, that flying a clean aircraft at high speed close to the ground is far easier and safer than hovering out of ground effect with a longline. Probably upon reflection and analysis of the various issues surrounding the kind of flying I am talking about here....you might come to a realization that doing it...and talking about it are two completely different things.

The common thread to this topic seems to be...those that have done this kind of flying seem not to be off put by the video...whereas those that have no exposure to it, all seem taken aback by it. Take yourself out to a fire and watch what goes on sometime....North Sea flying is a completely different kettle of fish.

But...in reality...I guess there are helicopter pilots...and there are Helicopter Pilots. The difference is definitely in "attitude" and "experience".

When I did my CAA medical....the Quack made a comment about my "Cowboy" boots (a very nice pair of Tony Lama's they wuz)....and I told him that just because I wore Cowboy boots....did not mean I flew like one. That was in 1976....and nothing has changed since then.