PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Time to ditch that flying career?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2002, 16:45
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Flying Chieftains? There would be a thousand commercial pilots out there who would envy you.
I once went from flying left seat in a beautiful 737 around the South Pacific, to driving a Silvertop taxi, to a job in an office changing light bulbs and running errands for Yellow Pages. That was following retrenchment during a Night of the Long Knives.

Outside my office window on the 12th floor somewhere on St Kilda Road, I could see the Cessnas tootling along between Moorabin and places east over Port Philip Bay. How I envied those student pilots. After two years of indecision I made the move. Should I climb the corporate ladder to the 20th floor and become in charge of the light bulb changers ($250 a week before tax and unlimited free light bulbs) - or throw a secure job in and go back to instructing.

I did the latter and flew clapped Cessnas. Six months later a 737 job came up and I never looked back. Like winning the lottery, getting a satisfying flying job is all a matter of luck and good contacts. Flying skills are nice, but good luck is better. There are a million out of work skilful pilots, but not too many lucky ones.

For what it's worth, my advice is stay on Chieftains and never stop trying to improve your skills. They give you great personal satisfaction and may save your skin one day.
People move on, jobs come and go, doors open and close in aviation. Sh*t happens too. But one day, you will get the job you want - just be patient and keep on trying. Persistence always pays off in the end...

[ 13 January 2002: Message edited by: Centaurus ]</p>