PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Time to ditch that flying career?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2002, 06:45
Northern Chique

PPRuNe's Paramedic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

I loved my flying and still do... thats why I left the industry. I now have a highly rewarding job and learning more about people that I could have ever imagined.

Its a totally different world than my flying career but now I deal with fast flying road borne white trucks with red lights and getting my crews to where they can save lives (ATC for ambulances) as well as the long term goal of becoming a fully qualified paramedic.

Not everyones cup of tea but hell, neither was flying... I get try to get the most out of every job I have ever done by putting in one hundred and 10 percent. That is why most pilots get so much from flying, its a love affair with the heavens and the piece of machinery which propells them there. A sense of reward and acheivement is gained by learning, persisting and updating.

I have seen pilots get very stale when they dont have something new to learn. The human mind is an active entity which can die and decay if left to its own devices. If anyone has problems getting bored while they wait for the next flying job up the scale of things... then do a ground school... corrospondance course or something to keep your mind active.

For example I know a couple of guys who started doing their AME tickets, and they got to go on test flights all the time (and sometimes on really nice machinery) while all the regular line guys remained well and truely grounded. The AME's were getting obsene amounts of money into the bargin (compared to the run of the mill GA pilot) and they accelerated through their careers at an awesome rate. Now each of them has a jet job and hasnt had to get their hands greasy for a number of years.

Some other options tie in very well such as customer service / marketing related studies. It could make a whole world of difference to your ability to deal and rope in a whole new clientel.

So on the snakes and ladders game of aviation.. after experiencing a run of snakes, dont let the slide become complete. Multi skilling can have you climbing ladders faster than you ever dreamed was possible.

And a special thank you to a special friend who took me for a fly after nearly six months of being grounded (barring airline flights). Even though the territory weather was being as fickle as ever, a flying "fix" after a long break is greatly appreciated.

[ 10 January 2002: Message edited by: northern_chique ]</p>