PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss over The Hammers???
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2006, 18:56
Professor Yaffler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Censorship?

Despite being a bit miffed that the thread has been closed on R&N due to Moderator censorship...
I will continue...
In response to Christiles and Onan:
I reckon they are a DHL A300 and a JAL 777 346ER It looks too long for a 200 and the wing is slightly different. Feel free to correct.
Lengths 73.9m and 54.1m respectively.
The Daily Snail today 30.1.06 (dreadful rag IMO) has a better piccy which shows the length of both aircraft.
I measure 118mm and 158mm
giving a scale of 4.68 and 4.59 to one. The difference in scales being 98% (Aegean feel free to check please.)
There is a going to be some error due to foreshortenting due to perspective on the A300 though the angle is pretty small- maybe add 4mm and make it 4.43:1 However lets be conservative and call it 95%.
Altitude is about 10000-9000 feet according to ATC
Lets say from the orientation of the aircraft that the picture is taken from an angle to the horizontal of 45 degrees or above. (probably more) than the LOS distance must be no more than 14000 feet.
Which give a line of sight difference of 800 feet or less. Which at 45 degrees would be a vertical and horizontal separation of 565 feet. (Change the angle and as vertical increases horizontal decreases so it makes litle difference.)
Which is closer than I would like to be. (I have to admit I was expecting to prove the tabloids wrong.)
Maybe not all proximity incidents are even noticed let alone reported?
Anybody care to have a go at the calculation and try and spot any errors, I would be happy to be proved wrong. Apologies in advance if this is the case.