PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling V1 early
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2006, 14:37
wileydog3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would seem that first one has to define how V1 was computed. I have seen numerous methods to calculate V1 including min V1s.

Second, a high speed RTO is always a problem. It is probably the most dangerous thing that faces a pilot and is seldom done correctly. Studies have shown in most cases the pilot fails to use maximum braking rendering the numbers invalid. Unless you can shove a phonebook under your butt when you are standing on the brakes, you are probably not getting max braking. This of course discounts using autobrakes.

Even with autobrakes, many times an aviator will disconnect the brakes when s/he feels the situation is under control and unfortunately this is when they are entering the latter portion of the runway where once again you are getting into the rubber build-ups.

At or near V1, the airplane is accelerating at about 5-7kts per second and in an earlier report (PSM+ICR) it discussed how many simulator events were created not from actual data but what was supposed to be. In talking to a few aviators who had blown tires or blown engines, they said the same thing, "It was nothing like the sim!" Having landing with a disconnected nosewheel pin (727 many years ago) when we landed the airplane shook like a wet dog and I had no idea of what was going on. Had this happened on takeoff, I imagine I would have had great concern about whether or not it would fly.

The V1 -kt call has worked at my old house (now retired) and I would imagine that more than V1 or V1-5kts the best plan would be to know what you are going to do as you near V1, execute it flawlessly and then lift a glass to expert airmanship.