PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afghanistan Deployment
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2006, 13:09
RayDarr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard Truths

Folks,
First, don't knock poor old Jock, remember he was a Plt Off once, so would have served his time doing crap stuff at the behest of some senior. Also, he has a comfortable life style to support, so he's as much entitled to his pension as the next man. Also remember, the polititians don't give a damn for Jock or anyone else, so what if he resigns, there are plenty more willing to climb the greasy pole. If Jock goes, compliant senior officers are a dime a dozen, just promote the next one and keep going till you get the answer you want.
Now as for fighting pointless wars with too little of the wrong kit that probably don't work anyway, this is not a new problem. I expect the Romans also complained in the same way. Who cares if half the force resigns in disgust, there is always a stream of star struck kids queueing up to sign on as a result of watching the Dead Sparrows, or seeing The Battle of Britain film on a Sunday afternoon. Even better in fact, as the kids don't know what they are letting themselves in for, and will do what they are asked willingly enough. No wonder war fighting is a young persons game, anyone with half a brain would avoid it like the plague.
Any poor soul who has been too close to real fighting and has seen what explosives can do to people would be only too pleased to spend the rest of his service doing cerimonial duties if it meant never going to war again, especially over some God forsaken hole like Afghanistan.
I don't blame the Air Marshals, and I feel sorry for the boys and girls off on this deployment. The people responsible as those we voted in to power last time. Just don't make the same mistake at the next election.

Last edited by RayDarr; 30th Jan 2006 at 13:20.