PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do Other Major Airlines Besides Emirates have Pilots over the Yearly Flying Hours?
Old 30th Jan 2006, 02:46
mensaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do believe that in Canada, one also receives credit for at least 1/2 hour after chocks, and a more realistic credit for checking in times as well. All pilots reach work at approximately 1hour50 minutes prior to departure yet only receive credit for 1 hour. In addition, once the aircrafts engines are shut down, our credit ends. Typically I don't reach the CBC until close to one hour after chocks. So, in other words, a duty day of 10 hours at EK, is more realistically a duty day of closer to 12 hours. This does not include travel time to and from work in case you were wondering.
As well, many of our block times are skewed grossly in the company's favour. In other words, we typically fly longer than the scheduled block time because that's how long it takes. The GCAA has never and probably will never, validate the block times that EK uses. I do believe that in Canada, if the block times are not achieved at greater than a 90% rate, then they have to be adjusted by the company.
All of this adds up to a significant number of hours over 12 months. And besides, equating anything Canada does with respect to crew duty limits, is madness.
I doubt there is one company in Canada that flies their pilots even close to the limits if they are flying both east and west and crossing multiple time zones, intermixed with thru-the-night short haul flights, with min crew and min rest intervals between flights.