PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southwest B737 Overrun @ Chcago MDW
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2006, 22:46
jondc9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually think we have a good discussion going.

For the RECORD (please respond if incorrect)

CHICAGO MIDWAY runway 31Center usable length landing beyond GLIDESLOPE is:

4927feet.

landing beyond the displaced threshold of 31 Center is 5826 feet usable length.

899 feet between the displaced threshold and glideslope touchdown (theoretical touchdown if we want to be technical).

The runway itself is 6522 feet long ( like for takeoff man) 1595 feet that on an instrument approach could really not be used. (though read my discussion of ducking the gs above)

the NTSB says the plane landed with 4500 feet remaining. With my primative brain this means that the plane landed 427 feet beyond GS touchdown. 2022 feet of runway (concrete) that wasn't used due to legit reasons (displaced threshold.

I did make a comment that a commercial pilot has to demonstrate in his practical test landing within 200 feet of a spot. (of course this is done visually).

A casual glance would tell a novice pilot that the runway was 6522' long. But there are so many factors that really lead you to think you are lucky to have 4927' on a dark and stormy night with very low visability. would that 427 feet have been useful? I would say yes. Plane still might have gotten pranged up but not have gone onto roadway enough to hit car? But again, we still don't have all the facts.

I have a call into NTSB asking if spoilers deployed automatically. STILL no answer.

Remember folks this media (forum) does not do justice to any of our thoughts.

over

jon