PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Close encounter over London?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2006, 22:26
Re-Heat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cannot really see anything wrong in media publishing a picture, that the uninformed public might view as incredibly close, then going on to include points that assure the public that it is indeed not close at all.

I don't really think the general public care about 1000' vertical separation - or indeed would understand - it is simply a photographic illusion where two differently-sized aircraft look close, as the relative sizes of the types are not clear.

Photo shows two close aircraft.
It is incredible that this is not in fact the case.
I don't think anyone has been mislead, and not even the Mirror story goes on to say - or imply - that the experts are incorrect.

Does there have to be a comment on PPRuNe after any aviation story is reported in the media - with most commenting on how much more they know?

Would anyone like to volunteer to say that they - from the ground with no camera at that game - would not have though uh-oh if they had seen this with the naked eye? Although clear from the photo, you certainly do not have the level of acuity to identify the type, obliquely, at the altitude at which they probably are flying - certainly not in a snap instant.

Just admit the photo captures a rare moment, when the complex aviation business is portrayed in the media as just that - a complex business fully controlled by the professionals at all times - something the Mirror - incredibly - admits.

Last edited by Re-Heat; 29th Jan 2006 at 22:37.