PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fed up of Poor FO's
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2006, 20:07
Woof etc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I must admit from the outset that I don't drive a shiny jet for an airline, I am a mere multi-crew, twin-turbo prop captain flying on contract in Africa.

I have had the opportunity to fly with a couple of low time co-pilots (not much more than 200 hours). I find that flying with low time p2s considerably increases the captains workload and divides his attention due to the continuous monitoring and mentoring of the p2. After a couple of hundred hours of operational experience these guys more often than not develop into excellent co-pilots. However, it is a steep learning curve for them, and in the period it takes them to get up to speed I feel the multi-crew setup is compromised.

By sticking a low time pilot straight into the RHS, the new p2 not only has to master a complex new aircraft type and the multi-crew enviroment, but also has to master the skills that a pilot who has significant experience flying light twins / singles has already developed. A 200 hr pilot has very little real world experience of operating in an IFR environment, dealing with weather, speaking on the radio, decision making, etc. etc.

I feel that an experienced p2 often has a valuable input to make in the decision making process. Furthermore, he/she is more likely to notice anomalies / deviations based on past experience.

On the flip side, I doubt that GA would be able to provide the number of experienced fo's required by the European airline industry and learning the ropes in a demanding single crew aircraft is fraught with it's own dangers.

However, I feel that having an experienced first officer definitely enhances the safety and efficacy of a multi-crew cockpit. This is especially relevant in a contract environment where we don't have the luxury of the fly by numbers approach of an European airline.

Besides, the low time FOs are missing out on the best flying and a lot of fun!

Last edited by Woof etc; 29th Jan 2006 at 20:40.