PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much is the Aussie Lifestyle costing you?
Old 9th Jan 2002, 22:04
imnomaverick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read the responses on this topic intently and can see a viewpoint from both sides.
I will give you a couple of reasons that have brought me to literally the other side of the world.
1. Yes the money is excellent and that is a factor,but not the deciding factor.
2. I chose carefully the company and place where I would go.
3. Life in Australia was very comfortable but it was not challenging, I was becoming lazy and getting into the same day to day routine. Cutting the ties has definitely expanded my knowledge and horizons.
4. Living in Europe gives rise to a lot of opportunities for myself and my family ie. Travel, Kids becoming fluent in maybe one but more than likely 2-3 European languages.
5. Money is not everything, I plan to serve enough time over here to retire, this will occur twice as quick as back in Aus. I plan to sit back and relax as early as possible.

Just a couple of my reasons, the other factor was I don't want a company to think they own my services because they pay a decent wage in Australia, there is more to life than being worried about losing your job in Australia. I will not have management sitting back smugly knowing they are the only employer or the big fish in the little bowl, there are other jobs in aviation than pilots,ATC etc and if not, a change of career is not that bad.