PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much is the Aussie Lifestyle costing you?
Old 9th Jan 2002, 09:45
OzExpat

PPRuNeaholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been in PNG for more years than I care to think about... and probably about 10 years more than I should. It has certainly been worth all the sacrifices for the pay and, despite the massive inconveniences and problems, a distinctly laid-back lifestyle.

But, last year, I actually found some options that would get me out of the country and into a similar job in another country (not Oz). Then along came September 11 and all but one of those options evaporated in the blink of an eye.

And I'm not sure that the single remaining option is really still there either. Haven't heard anything from them since being told that I'd made it onto the interview list, six months ago.

So, for all sorts of reasons, I'm staying put in PNG. The fact is that there just isn't the same sort of scope in my field in Oz. I guess you've got to consider the impact of last year's events on your employment prospects too.

It might mean the difference between not leaving Oz at all and not being able to come back, even for a reduced paypacket. Methinks the most successful expatriates are the greatest gamblers, but it's one helluva gamble.